Meditation To Open The Third Eye Chakra
Opening the Third Eye Chakra
Activating the third eye chakra is key to developing your innate gifts. Also known as Ajna or the brow chakra because of its position in the centre of the brain, it is the sixth of the seven chakras.
You third eye therefore is also considered the “sixth sense” which improves your powers of intuition, clairvoyance, perception and psychic ability. But its real power is the ability to visualise.
The third eye has been linked with the pineal gland which secretes melatonin as we sleep. Although scientists are still conducting research to provide conclusive prove, Dr Rick Strassman believes the pineal gland is what enables us to have visions when we dream.
It could be possible then that the third eye is our mind’s eye. For those of you who have the ability to create visions in your head, you have the ability to create. For those of you who cannot see visions, it is time to wake up your mind’s eye.
Once you learn how to develop visualisation through the process of meditation, you can better tap into your inner-wisdom and communicate with your sub-conscious mind.
According to Dr Joseph Murphy and other psycho-analytical researchers, it is the sub-conscious mind that ultimately manifests things in our lives. Therefore, having the ability to visualise and see yourself in situations you want to be in can become a reality.
Of course, your desires have to be within reason. If you visualise yourself with a film star, it does not mean it is going to happen. When other people are involved in your dreams, they have to be open to receive your desire.
Third eye meditation techniques
There are several powerful techniques you can use to open the third eye and you may need to experiment with several before you find one that works for you. Some people find that a guided meditation helps to produce stronger visualisation.
You will find many options on YouTube. Meditations with binaural frequencies are proven to be the most effective. The vibrational resonance works with your chakras to open them.
But you can do that yourself simply by humming. So if online guided meditations do not work for you, try this simple meditation exercise:
- Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Ideally you should do this exercise for 5 to 15 minutes a day for three consecutive days.
- Sit with your back straight. This can either be on a cushion positioned on the floor or in an upright chair. You don’t have to cross your legs and hold your fingers together in the Buddhist lotus position if you don’t want to. As long as you are sitting comfortably that is fine. Then just BE.
- You can meditate whichever way you prefer. I find the most effective breathing exercise is diaphragm breathing. To do that, breathe in through your nose and deeply inhale as far as you can – keep breathing – then slowly release, again as far as you can. You should feel your abdomen tighten.
- The difference between third eye meditation (and other chakra meditations) to standard meditation exercises, is the humming. You need to produce vibration. To open the Ajna chakra, make the sound ‘THOH’ which in English sounds like toe. Do this each time you exhale. It should sound like this: Thoooooooh.
- When you breathe out, part your lips slightly and place your tongue on the back of your teeth so the tip just pokes through the narrow gap.
- When you meditate concentrate on the pineal gland in the centre of your brain. To give you some help, the pineal gland is shaped like a tiny pine cone.
- Repeat this exercise for three days straight, 24 hours apart, and you will open your third eye chakra. You should then notice your visualisation is stronger during meditation.
To improve the other innate powers mentioned at the beginning of this post, you need to be consciously aware of the changes within you. It is natural for you to have already experienced intuition, perception and even psychic incidents without realising it.
Being consciously aware of these powers enables you to fine-tune your abilities and ultimately improve your life in ways you most desire.